International Students

International Students Applying From Overseas

U.S. immigration regulations require people who will be in the U.S. for the purpose of full-time study to enter the U.S. with a student visa. If you will apply for a student visa, please submit a copy of your financial documentation along with your WTTP application. The financial documentation is required to show that you will be able to support yourself while you are in the U.S.
This documentation can be any of the following:

  • A copy of your personal bank statement.
  • A copy of your parents’ or other sponsor’s bank statement AND a signed letter stating that this person or institution will pay for your tuition and living expenses.
  • A letter from your government or its scholarship agency stating that they will pay for your tuition and living expenses.
The minimum you will need to show for our program is $4800. When we receive these documents and you are accepted into the program, we will send you an I-20 form, which you will use for your student visa application.
If the mail service is not reliable in your country, we suggest having the I-20 sent by UPS, which costs $75. You can pay this by credit card, personal check drawn on a U.S. bank, or money order. If you choose this option, add the $75 to your $200 deposit at the time of application.

Applying for a Student Visa

Once you receive your I-20 and WTTP Acceptance letter from WESLI, you can apply for a student visa at the U.S. Consulate in your country. Before you go to your visa interview, make sure that you pay all the fees required for your visa application, including the SEVIS fee (I-901). You can pay this online at the U.S. government’s website. Click here to read about this and pay online.

When you go to the U.S. Consulate in your country to apply for a student visa, you must take the following documents:

  • Your I-20 from WESLI.
  • Your WTTP Acceptance Letter from WESLI.
  • Your SEVIS Fee receipt (Form I-797).
  • Proof that you have enough money to live and study in the U.S. This can be a copy of your bank statement, a copy of your parents’ bank statement, or information from the person or organization that will support you.
  • Proof that you plan to return to your country after you study in the U.S. This can be evidence that you have a job, or that you will go to school in your country, or that you have family (a husband, wife, or children) in your country, or that you own property or a business in your country.
  • Proof that you are a serious student. If possible, bring copies of your high school or university transcripts with you.
  • A copy of your WTTP application essay that explains why you want to obtain a TEFL Certificate.

A Very Important Note About the I-20

  • Students may NOT enter the U.S. after the start date on the I-20. (If you need to enter later, please tell us so that we can put that date on the I-20, allowing you to enter later.)
  • Students may enter the U.S. up to 30 days BEFORE the date on the I-20. For example, if the start date on your I-20 is 5/31/2014, you may arrive in the U.S. between 5/01/2014 and 5/31/2014.